Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Stuck in the backwoods swamp

We pulled way back into this campsite, but it must have rained a ton before wed gotten there. All the sites were too muddy to pull into. The roads were pretty muddy too and it was dark. We drove around trying to find the exit. What we thought was the exit down a tight muddy road turned out to be a dead end into a river. Mom tried to turn us around but with river on both sides we knew if we kept trying we'd fall in. I left Jules and mom to find someone who could back up a trailer or at the worst unhook and turn the trailer around. The first site I came to couldn't help. I worried I wouldn't be able to find my way back to the Casita if I walked too far, but there wasn't anyone outside of their trailers. I walked a little further and lucked out. The. Family had just pulled in and the dad said he was an expert backer upper. And he wasn't kidding. He took a few minutes to assess the situation, talked about five point turns, jackknifes, trajectories, and in no time we were turned around! He made it look so easy. 
Bad news for us though. The running lights on the trailer are out, so now we can only drive in the daylight. 
It was funny though. Mom was saying that to navigate through Charleston we'd  probably need to unhook the Casita and leave it at a Wal-Mart with a note on it. I said, Ya. The note could read "Please do not tow. We won't be back for it!" Maybe it was a stress reliever but we had a good laugh over that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment